Francophone KM4DEV CoP discussion
- When? Monday 5 October 2009
- Where? Chant d'Oiseau , Brussels
- Who? A maximum of 30 participants (limited room)
Objectives of the discussion
- To explore the possibilities of setting up a Francophone CoP 'a la KM4DEV'
- To identify volunteers to work on setting it up
- To gather enough elements to prepare a proposal for funding
The sequence of the discussion
This discussion will really urge volunteers (and perhaps some other people that we know have something to say about such a francophone CoP) to come and share their ideas on such a Francophone CoP in terms of:
- Scope of the CoP: same as global KM4DEV?
- What services / products to develop? (community wiki, annual event, website etc.)
- Focus on certain things to start with?
- Promote IKM topics Y/N?
- Relation with global KM4DEV (completely same branding but different language, partner, distinct etc. with bearings on governance, funding, organization of events, where to synthesise discussions etc.
- Technical infrastructures: do we host a platform on the global KM4DEV CoP or a different system – what kind of tools do we want to use (bearing in mind that each system brings maintenance chores);
- Roles and responsibilities (who will do what) as regards:
- Setting up the CoP and inviting people to join, managing membership and other facilitation tasks that e.g. Lucie is taking care of;
- Synthesising discussions and other content work as required – perhaps including translations of key topics/summaries to/from global CoP;
- Maintaining the technical infrastructure (taking care of systems);
- Fund raising for the future;
- Funding: what plans for the future of this CoP?
At the end of that workshop we should have a plan to set up the mailing list and platform fairly soon, and some initial ideas to turn into a fundraising proposal to chase funding for this, perhaps together with KM4DEV.
On 5 October, a group of 17 people gathered to discuss the creation of a francophone KM4DEV community of practice. The full report of this discussion is available (in French) on: http://www.km4dev.org/group/km4devfrancophone/forum/topics/rapport-de-la-rencontre
After a short introduction, the participants brainstormed in groups about some key elements of setting up a community of practice:
- expectations about the value of this group
- products and services that could come out of it
- facilitation of the group
- existing networks that the francophone group could cooperate with
- possible platforms to discuss, share documents and work together
- funding options
In order to support the coordination, a core group was formed, consisting of: Binetou, Jocelyne, Raphael, Philippe, Ewen, Hervé.
In the later part of the discussion, the participants established an action plan to get the group going:
|Find a name for the group||Samir, Sophie||October|
|Create wiki||Lucie / Nancy||October|
|Create a del.icio.us tag and account||Peter||October|
|Develop a Ning interface in French||Lucie / Michael||??|
|Feed the KS toolkit with resources in French||Sophie, in consultation with Lucie, Gauri, Simone||October...|
|Develop the glossary (EN-FR-ES)||Sophie / Peter||October...|
|Develop ToR for facilitator||Lucie / Ewen||November|
|Identify and contact potentially interested (funding) organisations||Elisabeth, Jean-Pierre, Ewen - Sophie for peer-review||November...|
|Identify potential funding sources||Elisabeth, Jean-Pierre, Ewen - Sophie for peer-review||November...|
|Develop a fund-raising document||Elisabeth, Jean-Pierre, Ewen - Sophie for peer-review||November...|
|Prepare the francophone issue of the KM4D journal||Ewen, Sarah, Jocelyne, Elsbeth||Jan. 2010|
|Identify opportunities to organise a face-to-face meeting (KM4DEV 2010 / KM4DEV West & Central Africa?)||All||??|