Updated: 3 November 2013
The Knowledge Management for Development Journal is a peer-reviewed, community-based journal on knowledge management for development – for and by development practitioners, researchers and policymakers - and is closely related to the KM4Dev community. ISSN: 1947-4199 (Print, if available), 1871-6342 (Online)
The journal publishes research papers, case studies, interviews, stories and 'community notes' which have a knowledge management component and relate to international development. Development in this specific context relates to such topics as aid/assistance to developing countries, international cooperation and poverty alleviation. Examples of relevant sub-sectors include health, agriculture, education, gender empowerment, policy issues, and so forth.
The journal is concerned with the role of knowledge in development processes. This might include knowledge management within an organisation, from small community-based organisations to large multilateral ones; knowledge process with the grassroots; and description and analysis of knowledge networks. The journal also aims to promote cross-fertilisation with other fields and, in particular, to provide a platform to share information on approaches that throw light on the development sector-wide knowledge system. By challenging current assumptions and promoting cross-fertilisation, the journal seeks to stimulate new thinking and to shape future ways of working.
The journal features three issues each year: in May, September and December.
- This journal (years 2005-2008 and 2013 onwards) is available on the Open Journal System at: http://journal.km4dev.org/
- Since the beginning of 2013, the journal is available in three language interfaces:
- From 2009 to 2012, Taylor and Francis (T&F) was publishing the KM4D Journal as a printed journal. You can currently find some of the authors' copies from 2009 and 2010 below. Shortly, all this content will be uploaded on the OJS site.
- Find below the list of recent and forthcoming issues.
Volume 5, 2009 (T&F issue, soon available on the journal website )
- Volume 5, number 1, May 2009 - Special Issue: Collaborative Learning: the Role of Organisational Knowledge Management Strategies http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rkmd20/5/1
- Volume 5, number 2, September 2009 http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rkmd20/5/2
- Volume 5, number 3, December 2009 - Special Issue: Learning for the Water Sector: Quenching the Thirst for Knowledge and Bridging The Banks? http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rkmd20/5/3
Volume 6, 2010 (T&F issue, soon available on the journal website )
- Volume 6, number 1, May 2010 http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rkmd20/6/1
- Volume 6, number 2, September 2010 http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rkmd20/6/2
- Volume 6, number 3, December 2010 http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rkmd20/6/3
Volume 7, 2011 (T&F issue, soon available on the journal website )
- Volume 7, number 1, May 2011 - Special Issue: Beyond the conventional boundaries of knowledge management: navigating the emergent pathways of learning and innovation for international development http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rkmd20/7/1
- Volume 7, number 2, September 2011 - Special Issue: La gestion des connaissances pour le développement – tour d'horizon en terres francophones http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rkmd20/7/2
- Volume 7, number 3, December 2011 - Special Issue: Indigenous Knowledge Technology Conference 2011: Selected Papers http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rkmd20/7/3
Volume 8, 2012 (T&F issue, soon available on the journal website )
- Volume 8, number 1, May 2012 - Special Issue: The Value of Learning: Understanding and Measuring the Impact of Knowledge Management in International Development http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rkmd20/8/1
- Volume 8, number 2-3, September 2012 http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rkmd20/8/2-3
Volume 9, 2013
- Volume 9, number 1, May 2013 - Special Issue: Knowledge management and climate change: [View the issue online ]
- Volume 9, number 2, September 2013 - Special Issue: Breaking the boundaries to knowledge integration: society meets science within knowledge management for development [View the issue online ]
- Volume 9, number 3, December 2013 - Special Issue: Facilitating multi-stakeholder processes: balancing internal dynamics and institutional politics [View the issue online ]
Volume 10, 2014
- Volume 10, number 1, May 2014 - Special issue: Spanish-speaking [View the issue online ]
- Volume 10, number 2, September 2014 - Special issue: Africa [View the issue online ]
- Volume 10, number 3, December 2014 - Non-thematic [View the issue online ]
Volume 11, 2015
- Volume 11, number 1, May 2015 - Special issue: Facilitation [View the issue online ]
- Volume 11, number 2, September 2015 - Non-thematic [View the issue online ]
- Volume 11, number 3, December 2015 - KM4Dev futures
Volume 12, 2016
- Volume 12, number 1, May 2016
- Volume 12, number 2, September 2016 - Disability and knowledge (1)
- Volume 12, number 3, December 2016 - Disability and knowledge (2)
Copyright issues and access model
The copyright of the articles published in this journal remains the property of the authors. For liability reasons, the title belongs to the Foundation for the Support of the Knowledge Management for Development Journal. The journal is published under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike License.
This journal is currently an open access journal as it has a funding model that does not charge readers or their institutions for access. From the BOAI definition  of "open access", we support the rights of users to "read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of these articles." However, some of the content (2009-2012) is only available on the Taylor and Francis website. Within the next few months, this issue too will become available on the OJS.
The journal is produced by volunteers. If you would like to contribute to the journal in any way, kindly send an e-mail to email@example.com