KM4D Journal - Minutes of editors' meeting of 26 February 2015

From KM4Dev Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

PRESENT: Ewen Le Borgne (notes), Sarah Cummings

0. PREAMBLE
Discussion: Sarah has updated the handbook with the journal item category 'tools & methods' and ACTION: SC will update the OAJS with that description. In the editors' handbook, SC also described what the editorial should involve. Since we have a similar set of guidelines on the OAJS, we should make sure someone (else than Sarah) cuts down the guidelines on the OAJS and points (links) to the wiki so that any author/editor is urged on checking the full guidelines on the wiki.
ACTION: Someone else to work on cutting down author guidelines on OAJS and link to the (wiki) handbook.

i. JOURNAL ISSUES

Discussion

  • December 2014: Almost ready. Quite a few papers in the OAJS were rejected and stole the paper by from the facilitation issue: the article by A. Allana.
  • May 2015: 12 papers came through. Going well - got most final versions of the articles in. Ewen could help with this. There is also someone coming as an intern who could also help with proof-reading...
  • September 2015: non-thematic issue.
  • December 2015: Instead of eLearning Africa we could focus on the process (AgKnowledge Innovation) share fair that's taking place right after eLearning Africa in May. Ewen and Lucie involved in that and could brainstorm about this for next chat/meeting.


ACTIONS:

  • SC To check with Philipp, Pete, Linda if it's ok to keep it in that issue.
  • ELB to help SC with the formatting of the articles.


ii. ADMIN
Discussion

  • Need to upload old missing issues, if not Sarah to get help Ewen. This is getting REALLY CRITICAL. This could be done by the editors...


ACTIONS:

  • SC and ELB (and anyone else) to do a Hangouts and see how to create issues.
  • SC to send ELB issues that he should upload


iii. PROMOTION

Discussion: Not held this time
ACTIONS

  • Next meeting: All the editors need to look at ideas for marketing in handbook - scheduled again for next meeting.


iv. EDITORIAL BOARD SURVEY

Discussion: ELB just shared credentials to access that survey again. Sarah will send it out
ACTION

  • Sarah: to do before next meeting.


v. OAJS
See above.


vi. Developing 'Super issues' based on part articles

Discussion: This was briefly introduced at the last meeting ("Should we think of doing "super issues" of KM4DJ on a certain theme (e.g. CoP), bringing all articles together. Or even something curated and presented on the list, on our Ning page etc. on specific issues, rather than doing 'real' issues... Ewen will explore this.")
Here are the results of ELB's investigation, looking at potential topics to organise issues on and how to prepare these special 'super' issues.

  • Types of content / issues
    • CoPs (1.1)
    • Knowledge networks
    • Social learning (e.g. 1 art in 1.1, 1.3)
    • Oral history and storytelling (1.2, 1.3)
    • KM4Dev articles about Asia
    • Culture (1.3)
    • Farmer and Local knowledge?
    • Women’s issues (2.1)
    • KM4Dev in Ag (2.2),
    • Cap Dev (2.2)
    • M&E of knowledge
    • Of Deviants, tangents and emergent trends (special case of very interesting off-the-wall articles)
    • Knowledge share fairs and other events (6.2)
    • ICT4KM4Dev (3.1)
    • Emergency work?
    • All articles in French
    • All articles in Spanish
    • All book etc. reviews?
  • How to present these?
    • Compile from OAJS and turn them into special issues (repackaged) with a small editorial? (or simple copy paste from PDF to PDF).
    • Invite KM4Dev folks to help with the editorial etc.
    • Write a blog post (on Ning) to link to some of these issues
    • Highlight an interesting article from the past every 2 months on the Ning website?
    • Post some of these interesting articles to specific sections of KM4Dev Ning and to e.g. KStoolkit and to KM4Dev community base?
    • Also give a better overview of all the articles we have somehow?


ACTIONS

  • All to give feedback on this and discuss this further for next meeting.

vii. New assessment sheet
Discussion:

  • This was brought up by Lucie at the last meeting ("Update of assessment sheet - Lucie to first consult with KM4Dev sending a copy of current assessment list and asking for criteria for practice and academia. Lucie to wait for first issue of the journal at the beginning of Feb.")


ACTION: All to discuss this at next meeting.

viii. Misc.
We could also post different articles on KM4Dev every 2 weeks or so (or every month), and we could organise a poll about the best article of 2014.
ACTION: SC to prepare this chat and all to discuss at next meeting.

PROPOSED DATE FOR NEXT MEETING: Wednesday, April 1 at 5pm (EAT) - MIND THE TIME CHANGE FOR WHAT IT MEANS IN EUROPE (CET) ETC.