KM4D Journal - Minutes of editors' meeting of 20 June 2012

From KM4Dev Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Present: Denise, Ewen, Lucie, Sarah.

Funding and hosting:

  • T&F pulled out (will pull out by end of this year);
  • We are going back to Open Journal System (OJS) because we all agree we should go for open access;
  • Later we’d have to put the T&F files onto the OJS;
  • It works in a similar way to the T&F online system;
  • The main difference with T&F (aside open access) is that we cannot have print issues (we’d have to source different funding for that);
  • We want to get Ivan’s approval to go forward with this (email sent in the meantime);
  • We should mention to the Editorial Board that we're planning this and mention to the whole list as well;
  • It would help to all indicate on this Google doc what are our tasks to produce each issue of the journal, to get a clear overview of these tasks, the time they take and to be able to more clearly negotiate with potential funders (potentially keen to fund some/all of these tasks);

Next issues

  • Lucie has written to Stacey Young asking for Special Issue (Guest Editor) on organisational strategies – and it will wait a bit (info received in the meantime);
  • Pipeline as it stands (in that order i.e. May, September, December):
    • 2012: innovation, Francophone issue, climate change issue;
    • 2013: Spanish issue, USAid issue (M&E) and Laurens Klerx issue on multi-stakeholder processes/platforms;
  • For the climate change one, Pete and Carl have to get back to authors. Denise will contact them.
  • Sarah will contact Laurens to confirm on the MSP issue.

AOB:

  • Lina Salazar will join the editorial board – Sarah will inform her;
  • Our next get together is on 18 July, same time.


Skype chat transcript

  • [20/06/2012 17:14:29] Lucie Lamoureux: T & F pulled out
  • [20/06/2012 17:14:42] Lucie Lamoureux: Ewen - ideas to explore
  • [20/06/2012 17:17:10] Sarah Cummings: Oh dear, I can't hear anyone
  • [20/06/2012 17:17:59] Sarah Cummings: Should we restatrt?
  • [20/06/2012 17:18:45] Denise Senmartin: yes
  • [20/06/2012 17:18:51] Denise Senmartin: let´s start again
  • [20/06/2012 17:19:04] *** Call ended, duration 09:46 ***
  • [20/06/2012 17:19:14] *** Conference call ***
  • [20/06/2012 17:19:58] Lucie Lamoureux: two options: going back to OJS ot going back to commercial publishers
  • [20/06/2012 17:20:19] Ewen Le Borgne: Do we all agree that we want open access?
  • [20/06/2012 17:20:43] Denise Senmartin: yes
  • [20/06/2012 17:20:45] Ewen Le Borgne: So that's a start
  • [20/06/2012 17:20:54] Ewen Le Borgne: Then: are there any tasks that require professional inputs or not?
  • [20/06/2012 17:21:31] Ewen Le Borgne: To Lucie: yes1
  • [20/06/2012 17:21:36] Ewen Le Borgne: That'd be great
  • [20/06/2012 17:21:49] Ewen Le Borgne: What are these tasks that we really want to subcontract to someone?
  • [20/06/2012 17:22:08] Ewen Le Borgne: Copy-editing is one of them
  • [20/06/2012 17:22:12] Ewen Le Borgne: (for Sarah)
  • [20/06/2012 17:22:22] Ewen Le Borgne: So who could fund the journal?
  • [20/06/2012 17:23:56] Ewen Le Borgne: The OJS space is there and we could use it again
  • [20/06/2012 17:24:06] Ewen Le Borgne: We would get the files from T&F and put them on
  • [20/06/2012 17:24:20] Lucie Lamoureux: http://journal.km4dev.org/index.php/km4dj
  • [20/06/2012 17:24:27] Ewen Le Borgne: e.g. Create an issue and add items etc.
  • [20/06/2012 17:25:11] Ewen Le Borgne: Other problem: No paper copy
  • [20/06/2012 17:27:30] Ewen Le Borgne: It would be good to lay out the different tasks that are involved in the production of an issue and come up (collectively) with an estimate about the time it takes to do these tasks
  • [20/06/2012 17:28:12] Ewen Le Borgne: We should mention to the Board that we're planning this and mention to the whole list as well
  • [20/06/2012 17:28:51] Ewen Le Borgne: Sarah will draft an email to Ivan to get his opinion on this after the call
  • [20/06/2012 17:29:47] Ewen Le Borgne: OSJ costs a lot to get print copies (+ distribution costs)
  • [20/06/2012 17:32:49] Ewen Le Borgne: Can anyone take notes in the meantime pls? (while I prepare the google doc)
  • [20/06/2012 17:38:12] Sarah Cummings: Lucie: she has asked World Bank people for article and Special issue but no reply as yet
  • [20/06/2012 17:39:14] Sarah Cummings: Lucie: Has written to Stacey Young asking for Special Issue (Guest Editor) on organisational strategies
  • [20/06/2012 17:39:54] Ewen Le Borgne: (ACTION POINT) ALL to update the Google doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZxkEM6QNHhfxa0su3KZM3hUFXjyq0RkjdrrznbXFnSs/edit?hl=en_US
  • [20/06/2012 17:40:10] Ewen Le Borgne: Didn't go far because difficult to do this while the call's going on
  • [20/06/2012 17:40:40] Ewen Le Borgne: Ok
  • [20/06/2012 17:40:42] Ewen Le Borgne: Typing
  • [20/06/2012 17:40:52] Ewen Le Borgne: This is linked with KM4Dev activities funded by IFAD
  • [20/06/2012 17:41:05] Ewen Le Borgne: We are supposed to synthesise some insights from our activities
  • [20/06/2012 17:41:18] Ewen Le Borgne: Should be in 2013 (do we have any place for next year)?
  • [20/06/2012 17:44:10] Ewen Le Borgne: For 2013: Spanish issue, USAid issue (?) and Laurens Klerx issue
  • [20/06/2012 17:45:56] Ewen Le Borgne: May: MSPs (L. Klerx), September: Spanish issue, December: non thematic
  • [20/06/2012 17:47:14] Ewen Le Borgne: December 2012 issue (Climate change): Carl and Pete have to get back to authors
  • [20/06/2012 17:48:20] Ewen Le Borgne: Sarah
  • [20/06/2012 17:48:22] Ewen Le Borgne: ??
  • [20/06/2012 17:48:30] Lucie Lamoureux: lost you
  • [20/06/2012 17:48:39] Lucie Lamoureux: talking to yourself!
  • [20/06/2012 17:48:53] Sarah Cummings: I'm here buit it does seem to have gone still. What do you think about Lina Salazar?
  • [20/06/2012 17:49:12] Sarah Cummings: Personally, anyone who volunteers is OK by me
  • [20/06/2012 17:49:31] Sarah Cummings: Can you see my chats
  • [20/06/2012 17:49:48] Lucie Lamoureux: yup, Ewen is talking about something else
  • [20/06/2012 17:50:01] Lucie Lamoureux: about the wi8ki vs Basecamp
  • [20/06/2012 17:50:02] Sarah Cummings: What is he saying///
  • [20/06/2012 17:50:26] Sarah Cummings: Stange that it went quiet

[*20/06/2012 17:50:55] Sarah Cummings: I'll just wait here and hear what you say later

  • [20/06/2012 17:51:02] Lucie Lamoureux: ACtion:
  • [20/06/2012 17:51:12] Lucie Lamoureux: (you'll see Sarah!)
  • [20/06/2012 17:51:47] Lucie Lamoureux: Ewen is typing, Sarah! ok, back to Lina Salazar
  • [20/06/2012 17:52:17] Lucie Lamoureux: i agree, she is keen to be on the Board... we should get her involved
  • [20/06/2012 17:52:39] Ewen Le Borgne: List of todo's https://ecdpmnonprofit.basecamphq.com/projects/7099910-km4dev-journal-editors-space/todo_lists/15892943#113250841
  • [20/06/2012 17:52:58] Ewen Le Borgne: Ok with Lina Salazar as Board member too
  • [20/06/2012 17:53:09] Ewen Le Borgne: Btw folks, I have 5-7 min left and have to go
  • [20/06/2012 17:53:17] Sarah Cummings: Great. Shall I reply to Lina or does anyone esle want to do it? I will also reply to Laurens
  • [20/06/2012 17:53:17] Ewen Le Borgne: And we should pin down a date for our next discussion
  • [20/06/2012 17:53:30] Denise Senmartin: ok
  • [20/06/2012 17:53:40] Ewen Le Borgne: When's a convenient time?
  • [20/06/2012 17:53:43] Ewen Le Borgne: Date?
  • [20/06/2012 17:53:48] Ewen Le Borgne: I'm on leave from 20 july
  • [20/06/2012 17:53:52] Ewen Le Borgne: But could do before that
  • ([20/06/2012 17:53:58] Ewen Le Borgne: Until 4-5 Aug
  • [20/06/2012 17:54:13] Ewen Le Borgne: We can also do this when evbody is back
  • [20/06/2012 17:54:28] Denise Senmartin: I´m gone all august
  • [20/06/2012 17:54:33] Ewen Le Borgne: Ok, we could go ahead without Lucie this time - hopefully Ivan's around then
  • [20/06/2012 17:54:48] Lucie Lamoureux: i won't be around from July 9-13, then July 15-20
  • [20/06/2012 17:54:52] Sarah Cummings: How about just ebfore 19 July? Tht's when I go on holiday too
  • [20/06/2012 17:54:57] Lucie Lamoureux: but you can go ahead without me
  • [20/06/2012 17:55:09] Ewen Le Borgne: 18 July?
  • [20/06/2012 17:55:11] Ewen Le Borgne: Same time?
  • [20/06/2012 17:55:38] Sarah Cummings: Yes, that's fine with me. Same time, same place? Perferably with sound too :)
  • [20/06/2012 17:55:42] Ewen Le Borgne: Let's continue with our ongoing plans: in July and in Aug.
  • [20/06/2012 17:55:49] Ewen Le Borgne: (Sarah) he he
  • [20/06/2012 17:55:50] Ewen Le Borgne: Yeah!
  • [20/06/2012 17:56:36] Sarah Cummings: Great. Is that it for now? Denise, shall I call you again when everyone has rung off?
  • [20/06/2012 17:56:54 | Edited 17:57:02] Denise Senmartin: yes lets talk re the tips
  • [20/06/2012 17:57:19] Sarah Cummings: Bye everyone. Take care!
  • [20/06/2012 17:57:32] Ewen Le Borgne: Bye Sarah! Thank you!
  • [20/06/2012 17:57:36] Lucie Lamoureux: ciao!