FAQ Team Meeting Notes

From KM4Dev Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Check here for our collective FAQtory Process Observations

Extracting Lyris Database Thinking - where we considered how best to extract materials from our archives

27 June Skype Call - broke it out as page was getting too long

FAQ Work Call – September 15

Lucie, Urs, Nancy, Kevin, Ben on the way

  • Can we download the old messages into a database? Need detailed specs of what we need to pull out.
    • Headline
    • Date
    • What I would do:
    • Put in search
    • Searches across subject line and content
    • Sort by name by content
    • Kevin will contact John Smith and see how he has done this with Yahoogroups. We essentially want the data sucked out. We can deal with it from there.
  • Contracts – some paperwork still floating around, but tomorrow things should move forward. Early next week at the latest.
  • Comparision – Wiki and Zaraya
    • too hard to use?
    • who would structure? It has to be simple enough to be self sustaining without a team
    • pros wiki – lightweight tool for easy adoption, truly collaborative, easier to use once it has been established and structured
    • cons wiki – not clear how to use out of the box, different kind of system, get used to a whole new set up, complicated, cultural hesitation to edit others words, afraid of deleting whole thing (even though there is a back up version), would require separate login
    • pros zaraya – clear structured process

0** con zaraya – less openness for collaborative editing, no back up on versioning

  • Continue for a week playing w/ Wiki
    • Get clearer about what we want for the actual FAQ structure so we can ask Kevin how these might show up on either tool
    • Urs and Ben are leaning towards Zaraya
    • Nancy has a mild wiki bias but can go either way, but really wants to make sure we address the community perspective
  • Kevin talk to John Smith on getting old messages out
  • We’ll keep playing with both platforms


KM Dev FAQ Call Sept 29

Urs, Ben, Nancy

Info for KM for Dev Community on project Sensitizing the community about the FAQ process and usefulness. Important activity. Now that we have started, need to inform them, involve them in topic selection/get feedback. Build ownership.

  • Give them an update of the process
  • Get their help in selecting
  • Offer people chance to offer their expertise as a peer reviewer or topic editor. What would they like to do? We mainly do editing, get their contribution on the content side, not editing.
  • Tell them these are the topics we are considering. How much do we want them to steer the selection?
  • Give them a few example drafts?

ACTION: Ben and Nancy draft (Nancy get first draft out today)– send by end of next week. Nancy draft to Ben today.

  • First Email Provide Project Info: Need to make it explicit that we are getting paid for some of the work. Tell about grant. Be transparent but show the value we are bringing in. Devise the platform, process, organization, amount of work. Start with examples. Encourage others to join the process, take ownership. Grateful to SDC for support. Phrased with sensitivity and task. Then give drafts of four exemplar topics then offer ten more and ask them to prioritize. Phased. Idea is to introduce the idea to the community.
  • Second Communication: Week of Oct 23rd with the topic survey, respond within 2 weeks.
  • Third Communication: Ask on the list if anyone has a taxonomy to share with us after the first email.

Selection of topics/Taxonomy – there are some topics that fall into one categories, and others with lots of overlap with other ones. How do we deal with the idea of “categories?” Find something that isn’t too controversial, but bring these categories together. At the heart there is this conceptual blur in KM. Be open and honest about that. Talk about Frameworks and categorizations as a FAQ itself. Are the categories for our sorting, or for deployment in the FAQ? Relevant for structuring the other resources on the KM4Dev worksite. We have to address it sooner or later. It will be imperfect, ok. But we’ll have something that is accepted. Website taxonomy not the same as a taxonomy for KM as a whole. The resources section will have some thematic taxonomy which should be same in FAQ.

  • Can we use tags in Zaraya and wiki? So there is a starting taxonomy, then others can add their own tags. Urs talks about aliases in a taxonomy. CoP  alias for learning communities. Centrally created or community created.
  • Also we have the language complications.
  • Do we have any starting points that we can build on (taxonomies) or do we build from scratch?
  • Internet search. EU has a KM taxonomy. Contact librarians in our community. Search in our community. Should reflect our specific domain of KM for Dev.
  • ODI did a literature review in 8 key areas – 8 questions. Recently reviewed by Steve Song at IDRC. Good start at a framework for KM4Dev but require further validation and research. ACTION: Ben email to us.
  • INTERACT/ Oxford – ODI works with them. They have developed a KM assessment tool, has basic questions of KM/KS in NGOs. Strong development bias. Rick Davies. Another typology from Siemens.
  • ACTION: Urs lead the taxonomy thinking/research by October 21, Urs
  • We’ll select the first four topics in the next week then let the community guide us to the second set. Use a SurveyMonkey. Urs may have a colleague with an account.
  • ACTION: Nancy, Ben, Lucie select from the list by early next week.
  • ACTION: We need to rephrase the big list of topics and then hone down. By October 23rd. Final selection by November 7th. Will have draft FAQs of first four topics and results of survey to send out to people.

Initial FAQ samples and Format: Nancy and Lucie have sent their initial topic wishes (Need to capture and add to the notes.) Urs - #25 on Page 2, cross organizational knowledge sharing. Nancy wants to pick from the list now, one familiar and one not familiar so that I can see how I approach the work.

  • Discussion attribution: Do we want to include attribution in our FAQs when pulling things from discussion? From the community.
  • Proposed structure starting point: Introduction, description, debates and discussion (i.e a lively debate on KM for Dev talked about…could go beyond KM4Dev), for more information. Link to relevant and useful discussions where appropriate. Only cite the most important resources. Some sort of ratings? General Rule of Thumb. Books, websites, cases, link to key people in community? No links to people to avoid becoming too “marketing” – use yellow pages. Underused at the moment. Members can subscribe, a number of topics, people can use the taxonomy to self identify. No more than 3-7 resources.
  • ACTION: Ben will do a dummy format in a word doc as a starting point. Template.
  • Not too long. Simple. Key values. No more than two sides printed. By Friday.
  • Look at existing FAQs as starting point. Don’t forget them. Adjust to new structure. Update as needed.

Selection of platforms: We have agreed to let the community experience FAQs on both platforms. Still have concern that the wiki is a different platform. People are already careful of accessing different platforms on the internet. People might not use it if it is different. Wiki functionalities interesting – fit very well to the FAQ task. Zaraya has possibilities but lots of program efforts. Looking at the Katrina wiki some sense that it would have been great to put all of KM4Dev on wiki – reflection. Quite strongly feel that we should not have two systems. Different frameworks, conceptual norms. Could organize the wiki to look like Zaraya. KM4D journal fit is quite well – not a big difference. And it uses another platform. Fits well.

  • Could use wiki as FAQ factory – then import final FAQ into Zaraya. Let’s try that. FAQ creation builds on strength of co-editing and community interaction. Get your hands dirty, hammer out ideas. FAQtory Floor. Final things into Zaraya for ease of finding and use. Offers a process for updating the FAQ. ACTION: We’ll use the wiki to trial this idea. Action research/learning. Include community in this learning process.
  • How do we communicate: Where would feedback on this process go? To the whole list? Channel FAQ discussions on a separate list. Or comment on the wiki. Use the discussion tab. Wiki is more flexible place. Do it there.
  • ACTION: Get KM for Dev logo into the wiki. Nancy ask Kevin.

Workflow/Project Management: Draft Timeline

  • Topics organized and survey ready for Oct 23
  • Survey results by Nov 7
  • First drafts in mid November for first four
  • First edits end of November, structure the discussion with the community. All four at once or parse them out? Discussion on the wiki. One a week? Finish by end of December..
  • Feedback by mid-December
  • Full delivery of the rest by February

KMDev FAQ Team Call October 21, 2005

Ben, Urs, Lucie, Nancy

  • Contracts: Aida needs documents from Ben
  • Agenda: First topics, topic survey, draft timeline, taxonomy, technical support issues
  • ACTION: Get KM for Dev logo into the wiki. Get ADMIN access and logo to Nancy and she will try and install
  • ACTION: Ben email to us. ODI did a literature review in 8 key areas NOW ON KM4Dev list today.
  • ACTION: Taxonomy thinking/research and follow up.
    • Group comfortable with Urs proposal
    • Urs will share with KM4Dev core group to see if it would work for the full KM4Dev platform
  • Decision: First example FAQs, should be done in plain text, done in wiki Action research/learning. Include community in this learning process.
    • Ben: knowledge as resource for dev w/ NS
    • Urs : cross agency KS, contributions to orgs, cross culture
    • Nancy: Difference between KM/IM
    • Lucie: creating a knowledge sharing culture
  • ACTION: We need to rephrase the big list of topics and then hone down. By October 23rd. Final selection by November 7th. Will have draft FAQs of first four topics and results of survey to send out to people.
    • Nancy clean up the question list by Oct 28
    • Compare to the survey results – Nancy then Lucie or Ben on Friday.
    • Hone list to top 20
    • Which of these 20 would be useful in your work
    • Would you be a resource
    • Would you like to work on a FAQ on this topic?
  • Tech update – Lucie working on finding out who will support us, possibly Kevin as a contractor.
  • ACTION: Workflow/Project Management: Update Timeline
    • Survey questions organized by October 28 (Nancy, then Ben and Lucie  final to Urs
    • Topics organized and survey ready for Week of October 31 (Urs do Survey)
    • Survey results by Nov 18
    • First drafts in mid November for first four
    • First edits end of Nov., structure the discussion with the community. All four at once or parse them out? Discussion on the wiki. One a week? Finish by end of Dec.
    • Feedback by mid-December
    • Full delivery of the rest by February

Personal Updates

  • Urs: working on writing and meeting on management of international knowledge networks, new website going online next week, CMS on Plone (FLOSS); Urs is coordinating/busy, heading a 5 org consortium exploring new trends for developing perm income in dev countries, November workshop; finalize a report of a workshop from June about sustaining water sanitation svcs in devel; caring, integrated management. Interesting perspective: people caring for their water through sanitation systems; how to change; international network for international network for transportation and development, presentation on “myths and fairytales of networking.” Ben suggested a couple of books on global knowledge networks, order from website. Working paper on networks and policy processes, really interesting ideas about the core functions of networks, key things for successful networks. [www.Odi.uk.org/rapid]
  • Nancy: didn’t take notes on my update
  • Ben: knowledge and learning strategy for a southern NGO, humanitarian org with medical services in refugee camps, forgotten crisis – challenging piece of work; get their country directors for the first time in 10 years, running a series of workshops for Bond, knowledge networks, IM and KM; with a research assistant - knowledge economies in development; something together next year to see what the Knowledge Bank means 10 years later for developing countries. Local edu process, innovation, ICTs, ODI work – training, SDC social development system; to share knowledge more effectively around social development; finishing touches on KM toolkit, abstracts of tools – old and new; working to harmonize with some other toolkits; developing communication package for Tsunami evaluation coalition; many major donors, NGOs, met with heads of evaluation in Copenhagen this week. Coming out with a big joint report. Dissemination strategy. Bits and pieces going on yet to come to fruition. Approached by UNDP in Central European and C. Asian region, upgrade their knowledge strategy. Asked by WTO to do a knowledge audit. Humanitarian futures – how changing in the future, the role of knowledge, learning and innovation. Also part time PhD looking – rigorous analysis about the intent to share and not sharing Knowledge around early warning systems. Using game theory principles. Doing a bit of work for Sarah at IDRC on outcome mapping. Tool they developed. Want to develop a global CoP in mapping. Getting together a few core users to ID what should be in the CoP. Putting final touches, and rolling out. Share knowledge on mapping, and to make outcome mapping more visible to key decision makers to look at a more learning focus for development. (LBL in Switzerland, course taking place soon, Daniel Ragan)
  • Lucie: Still at Bellanet retreat. All regional people, 16 total. Wall to wall meetings til late Tuesday night. In Brussels working on third issue of the journal (editor – on culture). Right now in process of getting comments from peer supporters. Core group follow up tasks. About page for the website, going up with new info. Developing some training materials w/ Allyson in Morocco the second week in Nov, Caryonet in N. Africa. Similar to ENRAP – ag project networks, share experiences on projects. 10 community facilitators. Training for them. Facilitation with different KS approaches, Dgroups as platform. Lucie will be Francophone trainer/new role. Arabic in the mix. Working on concept note for GKP for capacity deve around member knowledge sharing. Would love input. Why do it, what would be useful, how it might be done. Link up with Urs knowledge networks manual. Early Dec workshop in Nepal, reconnect project, linked to Building Digital Opportunities initiative. Long term process awareness raising around KS and ICT in peace initiatives in Nepal – directed at local donors. Governance, peacebuilding, ICT and KS/Peace.

Background: ODI 8 Questions - As part of the ODI working paper on KM in development agencies, we reviewed existing sector-wide studies of knowledge and learning leading to the identification of a number of key questions for investigation.

The specific questions include:

  • How is knowledge and learning understood and applied within organisations?
  • How does knowledge and learning interface with the existing structure of the

organisations?

  • How do knowledge and learning activities link to existing core functions of

the organisation?

  • How do knowledge and learning activities link with the existing support

functions of the organisations?

  • How do connective physical and electronic infrastructures support knowledge

and learning strategies?

  • How do organisational vision, leadership and management impact upon the

effectiveness of knowledge and learning strategies

  • What ways are there of measuring the costs and benefits of learning or of not

learning?

  • How do knowledge and learning programmes address external aspects of

knowledge and learning work?

The eight key questions which frame the study fit into the following categories:

  • Organisational knowledge
  • Organisational relationships and processes
  • Organisational contexts
  • External factors

FAQ Call November 24

– Urs, Lucie, Ben, Nancy

1. Survey results to date: (25 out of 450)

  • we need to get more responses – point to work in progress to show why and perhaps increase results?
  • review of early results – early results are consistent with survey. A little surprised about resource questions.

The first three places are clear: - What are practical ways to monitor and evaluate the results of a knowledge management strategy? (73%) - What are the key readings and video resources for knowledge management and knowledge sharing? (70%) - How do you sell KM to an individual, an office, an organisation? (66%)

On place 4 with 65% we have five questions: - What are the minimum criteria to start a community of practice and how do you start it? - What kind of practical instruments are available to measure the added value of communities of practice? - What are effective ways to develop capacity for the use of various knowledge sharing approaches and techniques? - What basic elements should a knowledge management strategy contain? - How is a knowledge management strategy introduced in an organisation?

FAQs so Far

  • Working with wiki working well. Got into it/enjoyed it. Opportunity to engage others into the process
  • Content –
  • Watch for pitches from consultant – edit out
  • Watch for our own biases
  • Hard to pull in all the realted thread content because some aren’t always obvious via labels
  • Take question, input stuff from threads, major points – trying to figure this part out. Headings don’t always reflect the content of subsequent conversations. One of the challenges of distilling community perspectives. The intended “theme” isn’t always the threads substantive theme. Far more than a call and response (20-30+ threads). The community takes the starting point and uses it for a catalyst for wider ranging conversation.
  • Allow in the voices of the community, and not being just a single voice for the community.
  • Like that the test FAQs take up the thinking of the community, but concerned about length.
  • Cite members at end of FAQ, not within body. (Nancy, add yours back in)
  • Longer FAQs may actually be a collection of FAQs and maybe link to subquestions
  • Should basic KM stuff be in here? Are we doing this for the lurkers, the most engaged (experienced?) members? 2 groups: KM members and members using it for the groups they work with. Should also help new community members.
  • Nancy write the next email. Send on Monday.
  • Main page – about project, clean up links, link a page about how to do it, link recent changes. Index page – list alpha? Start with the three active ones at top and indicate. Distinguish between old ones. FAQTory. Clean up today and tomorrow. Get help info off of Wikipedia or Global Voices Wiki. Ben start from page, Nancy clean up other pages.
  • We copied each others format
  • Make sure we capture our own gems from a process – start a “capturing out learning pages”

Next FAQs

  • Ben has his next picked out “what are practical ways to monitor and evaluate the results of a knowledge management strategy?” maybe also how to do a KM strategy. Interest has moved because of the process. The distilling process is more of a learning process.
  • Wait a bit on the next FAQ selections till survey is closed
  • Key readings and video resources – not so much as a FAQ but be more to update the sections of the website. Mining the lists and then input into the categories. Lucie would not mind doing. There are also a lot of resources that emerge within each FAQ mining process.
  • Idea from Swiss community on water and sanitation. 20 basic books in a topic area. Selection made by community. 10 websites, 10 books, 10 videos, etc. Keep that in mind. No decision at this point.
  • Key words from taxonomy. Base there but not limit ourselves to them. Take taxonomy first, then add other key words. Lucie will send the latest Taxonomy around.

FAQ Competition

  • This (making FAQ/Wiki) is a really good learning tool. Promote it not as an extraction but as a community capacity building activity. How we present it. With the wiki you’ve got a tool available – input and perspectives on ongoing conversations. Make the suggestions more easily available.
  • On a quarterly basis, ask people to pick theme you’d like to FAQ, present that FAQ, submit X number. Use this to plant some friends to get it started. Core group votes for the best one. Get a little prize. KM for dev mascot. Some reflection – add some memory to the FAQ. They also get a bumble bee. (http://www.marymeyer.com)

KM4Dev Journal Edition on Culture

  • Last hurdle, person doing community notes, summarizing a thread and giving a personal view on how they used the info – they dropped out. Use the FAQ – one of the questions as the notes.
  • Need to add the past notes into the FAQ
  • How we use the wiki to learn as a possible future note. Each do a paragraph on how useful we’ve found the process. Due by end of next week (Dec 1)

Email File

  • Resource section of Dgroup – KmforDevwg www.dgroups.org/groups/km4devwg1


Skype Call December 13 2005

1. FAQ survey results: Low response reminds us that not everyone reads/tracks what goes on in the community. Some of the comments are good reminders about Southern involvement. (I just realized we did not discuss any of the other suggestions. We should make sure we don’t lose sight of them!) Consider how to keep folks engaged. Use bilateral contacts to inform people of the FAQ project. North South issue. Pay attention to this going forward.

2. Attribution issues: We have been carefully attributing external sources, but putting attribution of list quotes from members at the end. We also have different sections… in the discussion section vs. detailed description session. Agreement:  Mention all names at end of KM4Dev session (italics: the following members contributed to the thread on …) Could include link to member profile.  Attribute where we have direct quotes. But some we realize are taken from other places. Hard to draw the line.

3. FAQ Template: Discuss the structure of the FAQ. Urs make a proposal and send to the group for email discussion. It has evolved a bit.

4. Closing of survey - send results to community? Yes, and Nancy will do this. We all have our next FAQs picked out for completion after the first of the year. Lucie: Capacity building, Nancy: CoP, Urs: KM Strategy, Ben: Monitoring. Draft due by Jan 20

5. Follow up on article for KM for Dev. Urs will contact Julie and/or Sarah for final edit.

6. Next meeting – Next year! January 20th, 4pm GMT.

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and Safe Travels! Oh, and Ben, we still love you!


Skype Call Feb 8 2006

1. Updates – everyone is busy doing cool stuff

2. How do we get the community involved? Do they want to be involved? How? Wikipedia discussion - good place to jump in. The KM for Dev community could convene on the issue re Wikipedia and link it. Watch out for: multiple platforms. How to align and link. Our wiki is still an experiment, open question for future strategy? Complementary vs duplication Asking the question about making the best use of resources. ACTION: Nancy send message: opportunity here. Push for the Dev perspective, opportunity for crosslinks

3. Current FAQ issue: What do we do with the need for grounding FAQs that seem to precede the ones we are doing now. Conceptual context... fuzziness at the heart of KM. How far to go? Is it an issue about how we are posing the questions...? Approaches to M&E KM4Dev strategies better than how to... Reframe...EVERYTHING should have the subtext, "how is this relevant to development." If it asks us to reframe the questions, we should. Answers in FAQs are always limited. We have to accept that. manage expectations. At the end of this project we'll have newly written 8 FAQs and a lot more have to be written. Accept that we have limited resources. Different worlds coming together. Urs management guide for networks with Michael - OECD terminology. Strategy is not a word in that terminology. (WOW says Nancy) Terminology problems. Use links. Encourage others to contribute more foundation stuff, links.

4. Next Meeting: 15:00 GTM Thurs 16 Feb Agenda: FAQ progress Marketing Future wiki platform? Or hold till later. KM4Dev workshop now pushed to July 10-11-12 -- Have to have something for proposal on platform then.

Skype Call February 16

Ben Ramalingam says: hi guys Ben Ramalingam says: i got out ofmy meeting early Ben Ramalingam says: but am using the extra half hour to do some work on the FAQ... :) Urs Karl Egger says: Hi Ben, my FAQ is also not finished yet, but I have all materials and keywords together including some text...

Agenda: 1. catch up

  • African Humanitarian Action - first F2F after 12 years!!!!!
  • Lucie helping IDS on strategic workshop

2. work to date on second batch

  • Nancy: enormous amounts of material, reframing material around development, focusing on the specific issues of interest to the community

antecedant FAQs... what questions go before. Make this framing around development more focused on our FAQ practice? this would be nancy's learning from the 2nd round

  • Urs: pulled out discussion source materials. 4 main threads. All are interesting. Overwhelming how much knowledge is in the discussions. Mind mapped it (Nancy thinking DUH, I should have done that). Got basic structure and text.

Colleague will help/upload text next week. Have to reframe the question and focus. Otherwise book writing cannot answer question in one faq. Accept we have limited resources, address what we think are important. Will add more FAQs and links later. Interesting to think about the organization process while mining.

  • Ben: Looking at issue of M&E of KM (initial thought). Somethine widely held as a flaw of KM. Little systematic effort to show benefits. Went into archives hoping to find a rich series of debates to synthesize coherently.

What realised... three concentric circles of discussions. Smallest, level 1, M&E within KM/output. Participation and outputs of online discussions. Reasonable amount of consensus around indicators. Next, biggest, within KM strategies. Here the debates were on conceptual difficulties. Aligning w/ biz Challenges fundamental strategies. Take into account knowledge is K in the eye of the beholder. KM not as an entity itself, but as monitoring, tailored to individual. Real questions at that second level. 3rd level to M&E of development itself. Impact of knowledge on development itself.

How does perpsective and intent of evaluator impact KM monitoring.

There wasn't enough knowledge at that level. Debates 2001 - 2005, only three debates and one person driving it. Tony Pryor driving it forward. Left with a few questions. Not sufficiently addressed within the community. Becoming more of a think piece (all in word doc at the moment) Preconceptions impact how you proceed with these FAQs In some cases hoping for more debate than actually found. Little indication that people are having to grapple with some of these issues. A lot of people who we might expect to respond stayed quiet

  • Lucie: Had a very different experience. Had a very specific question that hadn't been clustered. Very little on the topic in the archives. Shocked. Went through archives again to make sure. Got bits and pieces. Had to rely on personal knowledge. Need input from team to add different things.This is very much from personal perspective. Examples, what people are doing. Felt lonely on this one.
Key question: are we writing FAQs that come out of community discussions, or are we aggregating from external and personal knowledge?
nancy - need to represent the community perspective first. we are all members of the community, simply communicating this finding about the FAQ is "good stuff"

I was worried before that we needed to know our approach: all from community or pulled from other sources. Then I stopped worrying about it because we are members of the community. We need to ask them if they think our input is ok.

B: having had the three categories, pose this to the community for further input. Where's the meat? What is the PRACTICE in these areas. Get that practice element into the FAQs. Makes them alive

If we do our work seriously, not every FAQ will be appropriate for every member of the community. Always differences in different contexts. They go back to community, ask and add to FAQ.

Living FAQ

It is not possible to be a neutral FAQ editor/author. Ambiguity inherent in the topics. Not FAQ but Frequently Debated Issue

There are basic, definitional FAQs that aid entry into the community. Then there are the really interesting ones.

What is our groups value added? Why should the community members be interested in what we are doing? Why not google a term.

What do we bring as a community to these issues that we don't already have.

1. The development perspective you don't easily find when you google a term.

3. marketing/channel/audiences

  • So why should community members read our FAQs?
    • development perspective
    • shared vocabulary
    • overlapping values that drive the work
    • context of the community - relationship -
    • people perspective - who said what? who do i listen to? who said what as much as what they said.
    • The context of the community itself. It is a COMMUNITY faq, about them

[8:05:29 AM] Ben Ramalingam says: urs - i know the thinking of the community [8:05:42 AM] Ben Ramalingam says: this is in line with my ideas,and how i think [8:05:57 AM] Ben Ramalingam says: the knowledge i get from the community is interesting [8:06:01 AM] Ben Ramalingam says: and is in line [8:06:08 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: alignment between us as individual and within the community - much more interesting. In the same line. From the community = quality. [8:06:14 AM] Ben Ramalingam says: "a quality stamp" [8:06:17 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: Other communities might not understand what I'm looking for [8:06:23 AM] Ben Ramalingam says: a value added [8:06:44 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: We should write this up and share w/ community at some point. [8:06:48 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: Put these notes on our wiki [8:07:10 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: Sub categories of commmunity members: [8:07:18 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: lurkers, active members... [8:07:44 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: Using the discussion platform for a series of semi structured, time discussion around the topics we have been working on.

4. Next steps Summarize in 2 pager - update of the FAQ that's our work Great idea! (Nancy agrees) Make visible the process and value to the community Getting people on to the wiki may be another med-long term goal rs question on last call about platform. Technology choice impacts who will use it?

need to have a process session... introduce them to the wiki on a neutral content basis.

"Where we went on holiday last year" - playground wikiweek!!!

i love that
nancy,you are the queen of soundbites
tool field trip

practice fluency on a tool - can I help make it useful for my community or shoould I ditch it. Tool use: with variable context theory can only help you so far.

Unconcious competent!

Guilt is my shadow [8:14:19 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: IDS meeting at the KM for Dev is intersection between KM and Org learning [8:14:25 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: Keen to jointly lead a session on our experiences [8:14:31 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: Demo [8:14:46 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: Then Tag week! [8:14:50 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: Then Blog week! [8:14:53 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: Then CHOCOLATE WEEK! [8:15:55 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: Do something wiki-ish pre/during and post the meeting [8:16:06 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: Can use wiki to take notes at F2F and make visible to those not there [8:16:14 AM] Ben Ramalingam says: good plan

[8:17:10 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: Have to do one for each of the pilot faqs [8:17:12 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: part of the process [8:17:17 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: (so is dancing)

  • FAQ process includes: hey here is a new one, come look at it, review, revise. Brings the communityinto the discussion.
8 FAQs. Nice loop. Present one at a time.

present and facilitate a discussion use an unresolved FAQ, and a concrete one, and see what kinds of conversations they generate

1. creating Ks culrure 2. KSfor development 3. KM vs IM 4. cross-org KS

  1. What are effective ways to develop capacity for the use of various knowledge sharing approaches and techniques? - Lucie
  2. KM Strategy - Urs
  3. Monitoring - Ben
5. developing KS capacity

Yes, need to redo the index which to start with? URS - creating a KS culture# Walk the talk! M&E KS - Nancy fac start 2.24 Do we send a document or do we point to wiki? [8:29:29 AM] Ben Ramalingam says: we point to wiki [8:29:40 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: If someone has problem Nancy can send file. [8:30:51 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: week of 20 March [8:31:20 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: Reflecting on reflecting - nice slow burn [8:31:32 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: That one should be FAQ-ized! [8:33:27 AM] Ben Ramalingam says: community time vs real time [8:37:33 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: Set time for a follow up call after the second round... dates... end of April? [8:37:41 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: Feb 24 for first one [8:37:46 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: March 20 for second one [8:37:53 AM] Nancy White| GMT-8 says: Or 13 March? [8:38:46 AM] Lucie Lamoureux says: (beer)

5. Next Call phone conference 24th March