COP knowledge facilitator on the MDGs
Contract #: KNOWLEDGE NETWORK FACILITATOR
The Millennium Development Goals have galvanized the development agenda around a set of time-bound targets to bring equality and development to the people. In order to achieve this, progress towards the MDGs must be measured in a way that represents the empowerment of women and the inclusion of vulnerable groups in society and functioning health systems. ESCAP is executing a project entitled “Interregional cooperation to strengthen social inclusion, gender equality and health promotion in the Millennium Development Goals” which seeks to strengthen the MDGs’ coverage of policies and programmes for inclusion of socially vulnerable groups, promotion of gender equality and health.
Part of the project’s endeavour is to achieve sustainability by providing a strong platform for knowledge management through the establishment of MDG knowledge hubs in Asia and the Pacific and bringing together a “community of practice” (CoP) to contribute effectively to the process. As part of this project, ESCAP currently runs an e-discussion group of approximately 120 members focused on the issues of social inclusion, gender equality and health promotion in the MDGs. The e-discussion group will soon be migrated to a larger KM platform as a subgroup community of practice in a regional tripartite ESCAP-UNDP-ADB initiative.
The consultant is being contracted to serve as Knowledge Network Facilitator for the CoP on social inclusion, gender equality and health promotion in the MDGs.
Main broad objectives of this CoP are:
- Sharing perspectives, research findings and comparative experiences in measuring progress in the implementation of the MDGs
- Technical backstopping and support in the development of additional targets and indicators in the areas of social inclusion, gender and health for inclusion in the existing MDGs framework
- Experts referrals
- Research on issues (social inclusion, gender and health)
Some of the key support services to be provided to members through the CoP are: Query services: members can post questions to the Community and receive responses from other members as well as a consolidated reply generated by the Network Facilitator that may imply supplemental research to be undertaken by the facilitating team and/or the Network Facilitator.
- E-discussions: members from either the core group or broader Community can table an important issue for discussion over a period of time. The discussion could be facilitated by a guest moderator with expertise in a particular domain.
- E-consultations: members can circulate draft documents or ideas for feedback by the Community.
The expected outcomes of the project with regard to the CoP are:
- The creation of a sustainable CoP which closely meets the needs of its members (and the objectives of the project: development of additional targets and indicators)
- CoP becomes a source of useful and timely information, active exchange of information, ideas and vibrant discussions
- Expansion of subgroup CoP’s membership and strengthening of its substantive content in virtual webspace and project website.
- CoP remains sustainable beyond the duration of the project and provide a knowledge base for policy makers and practitioners engaged in monitoring national progress in the achievement of the MDGs by providing timely and useful information and exchange of ideas.
The Facilitator, under the supervision of and in regular consultation with the Emerging Social Issues Division (ESID) of ESCAP, will undertake the following assignments:
- Supports development of the subgroup Community of Practice on Strengthening social inclusion, gender equality and health promotion in the Millennium Development Goals (knowledge network) in close collaboration with the ESID MDG Team and designated focal points in ESCAP. Anchors Community collaboration; facilitates knowledge and information sharing among members; finds and invites appropriate new members.
- In consultation with IT consultant, contribute to the expansion of the current COP workspace and project website, by developing them substantively and conducting complementary research and related work for the substantive pages.
- Manages and moderates the COPs electronic mailgroup (knowledge network) and virtual workspace. Moderates, directs and filters messages; encourages member participation; facilitates electronic discussions; determines most relevant information and knowledge resources for the network, including latest MDG news, publications and reports, maintaining and continually updating it on the Community's virtual workspace and website.
- Advises the COP Core Group, which steers and guides the COP, in identifying emerging or current issues of concern to the COP community.
- Coordinate launch of subgroup COP with larger tripartite COP launch; develop and implement an effective PR theme to launch.
- Collates and making available on-line research and literature on linkages between achievement of the MDGs and social inclusion, gender equality and health promotion.
- Consolidates responses from the Community to requests for advice and assistance from members. Undertake or coordinate supplemental research for the COP; formulate "Consolidated Replies" to queries; indexes responses in the Community workspace for future search and retrieval by members. Summarize discussions in a thematic manner at the end of each month.
- Assist in ensuring smooth transition of e-discussion group to new platform and webspace
3. Outputs from the work assignment (must be tangible and measurable)
- Regular consultation shall be maintained with the ESCAP secretariat for the duration of the contract.
- Proposal for strategy on creation of vibrant and effective COP (on basis of initial discussions with ESCAP)
- Assist and support in overseeing smooth transition of e-discussion group/COP to new platform
- Effective launch of COP in new platform
- Implementation of agreed upon facilitator responsibilities and tasks described above.
- Submit monthly reports summarizing discussions in a thematically organized structure;
Near completion of contract, debriefing report and recommendations for sustainability of COP; including providing an overview discussions and summary of activities
How are the outputs to be delivered? Draft reports are to be submitted to the ESCAP secretariat at the due dates indicated in part 3 above Specify performance indicators for evaluation of outputs: 1. Timely completion, 2. Vibrant discussion in COP 3. membership widened 4. Effective completion of agreed on facilitator responsibilities
4. Duration of contract
with an actual work period of 6 (six) Months (Bangkok, Thailand)
5. Details of travel if any:
Arranged by ESCAP
6. Terms of payment
USD 2500-3000/month (still being determined)